College and Graduate School Scholarships for Native Students

There is a wealth of scholarship funding out there for Native students, and the CPN's new education department, headed by Tesia Zientek, is committed to helping CPN students and their families identify the best opportunities. You can contact the CPN Department of Education by email at or by phone at 405-275-3121. Here's another resource -- a comprehensive listing (current as of February 2013) of funding opportunities put together by Sam Scott, a CPN member and current University of Pennsylvania law student, who put the listing together while serving as my intern during 2012-2013. I hope you find it useful and will appreciate any feedback (additions or changes) you may have to the listing as you make use of it.

Click here to download.

You also can find premedical and medical education-specific scholarship and resource information at (This medical training-related link is courtesy of our niece, Potawatomi Leadership Program alum Susanna N. Basappa, who is training at Mayo to earn her M.D./Ph.D.)

CPN Language Learning

The Nation continues to focus on teaching our language, through online instruction and development and distribution of materials. Among the materials Director Justin Neely and his team have developed is a compilation of some 30 cultural teachings videos which are delightful and incredibly informative. You can access these here. Another resource is a 24-page handout titled Conversational Potawatomi, accessible here. And our lexique pro dictionary has about 5,000 words in it -- it can be downloaded to your PC, but per Justin, it doesn't like Macs. You can find it here. Also available now is a self-paced online language course. For more information about it and to sign up, click here. And especially for kids, the Department has created a children's page, available here. As Justin described it to me "It's designed for kids. There is an image of a town and you click on the picture to drill down into another screen with a split screen with two choices then you pick one of the two. Then you are in a picture where you click on different images in the pictures and it pulls up a video. Some of the videos teach words, some are cultural teachings, some are songs, some are just for fun, with no real language instruction The idea is for kids to explore." Migwetch/thank you to Justin Neely and his team for their work in helping us learn our language and keep it vital for the next generations.

CPN History and Native Heritage: CPN District #2 Library Holdings

I've been collecting books on Native American subjects and Potawatomi heritage for a lot of years. With my college son Marshall Cohen's help during the Summer of 2012 I now have an alphabetical-by-author listing of books that are in the District #2 office, ready for your research and for you to borrow if you agree to return them for others to use too! I've added to the list since 2012, including books I've been gifted and more that I've purchased. Please give me a call or send me an email if there is a particular book on this list that you'd like to borrow.

Click here to view available books.

CPN Benefits

The Nation offers our people a number of benefits -- some are age- or need-dependent, some are not. Our Nation's website,, under "Services," provides links to The Tribal Rolls Office, CPN Health Services, our Housing Department, Elder Services, and much more. Please visit there to determine if you meet the criteria to apply for scholarships, housing assistance, our mail order pharmacy services, burial cost assistance, and the Health Aids Program, among other services and benefits, and for the relevant forms or office staff to contact. Our Hownikan routinely provides in-depth coverage of the various CPN service departments and benefits, so please be sure to read it monthly. If you are a Tribal member and do not receive the monthly paper, please contact Tribal Rolls at 800-880-9880 to update your address information. You also can read the paper online monthly.

Behavioral/Mental Health Services (current as of 9/17)

CPN has a behavioral health program, headed by Dr. Glenna Stumblingbear-Riddle. If a tribal member is struggling with suicidal thoughts or any behavioral health issue, help is available through the CPN Behavioral Health. A person can self-refer or be referred by their primary care provider. The CPN Behavioral Health program provides crisis intervention and individual, couples and family therapy and psychiatry. It also offers groups to reduce substance abuse and has a smoking cessation class. The Behavioral Health program's number is 405-214-5101. And please remember that help also is available 24 hours a day by calling the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 800-522-9054. In September 2017 I emailed with Dr. Stumblingbear, our Director of Behavioral Health, about service availability outside the Shawnee area and here's what I learned:

1. CPN offers services to all CPN members living in the CPN's 5 county area. If a CPN member or a member of another federally recognized tribe lives outside of the area he or she can go to another tribal facility or Indian Health Services facility. You can view these facilities, using your zip code, via:

2. Under current CPN policy, Behavioral Health will see CPN members outside the 5 county area, but it can do only that – treat members at the clinic. Inpatient care or other services a person might need outside the Clinic would not be covered by CPN. CPN would assist with placing the person in care that is needed, through a contract health referral. But, another tribal or HIS facility would have to have the ability/capacity to provide and cover the cost of the contracted service.

3. If a member cannot travel to Shawnee, and there is no tribal or IHS facility available (something that is the case in most of the states making up District #2, I know) and the CPN member has no insurance, there may be a community mental health center in the area that will provide care at no or low cost. Per Dr. Stumblingbear, most states have a Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, which is another service provider to contact. Those with insurance are in a position to contact a local provider who accepts that insurance. And don't overlook that, if one is employed, many employers offer an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). CPN itself offers this to its employees, providing 3 free sessions per year to employees.

Dr. Stumblingbear also provided this link to help individuals identify treatment services in their local area:

Indian Health Service Funded Facilities (current as of 8/17)

Health and Dental Care Available at No- to Low-Cost in Citizen Potawatomi Nation Legislative Districts #1 and #2 (the Eastern Half of the United States)

The health facilities and Tribes listed here are located in Districts #1 and #2 and receive Indian Health Service funding. As I write this, CPN-enrolled members are eligible to receive health services from certain of these facilities and Tribes if they live in the area served by them. Note: CPN members should contact CPN Tribal Rolls Director Charles Clark for new or replacement CPN membership cards at or by phone at 405-878-5835 or 800-880-9880. If you are told you don't qualify for the services offered, or that you don't have the right identification to receive services, Amber Brewer from the CPN Health Aids Foundation may be able to help clarify. Please get the name and phone number of the person you speak with and then contact Ms. Brewer at 405-275-3121 or I may also be able to help, so please don't hesitate to contact me.

This compilation is the result of research by CPN members Shirley Kinne (2010) Colby Payne (2012), Sam Scott (2103) and Marshall Cohen (2017). Shirley, Colby and and Sam personally contacted each of the facilities listed for services information; the results of their research are noted below. Marshall checked the website-posted information against the facilities' current web postings. As you will see, some facilities turn away persons who are not members of the particular tribe, others offer only limited services and for some we could not obtain information. Please note that the information posted here is current (to the best of my knowledge) as of August 2017.

Sam also alerted me to the following webpage: Here, by typing in your own address, you can find any nearby federal-funded Indian health clinics and tribal-funded clinics. In doing his update, Marshall noted that the IHS website is not complete -- some of the facilities I've included here are not linked via the IHS website. Nonethless, it is another source of services information. A number of years ago now I heard from another member that the Choctaw Nation Health Authority Clinics in Idabell and Broken Bow, Oklahoma accept anyone with a Potawatomi ID. Dental and health services are available, and the clinics provide many prescription drugs at no cost. These Oklahoma clinics may be within driving distance for District #2 folks in Arkansas.

Please also note that all Citizen Potawatomi can receive services at our Health Clinics in Shawnee -- we have laboratory, x-ray and dental facilities, and offer a full range of behavioral health services as well. The East Clinic is at 2307 South Gordon Cooper Drive, Shawnee, OK 74801, Phone: 405-273-5236, Appointment Desk: 405-878-4693, Fax: 405-878-4835. Our West Clinic is located at 781 Grand Casino Blvd., Shawnee, OK 74804, Phone: 405-964-5770, Fax: 405-964-5788. Visits are without cost but if tests or referrals need to be done or made at other contract facilities you should expect to pay out of pocket for these. And please be aware that enrolled Citizen Potawatomi who live anywhere in the country and are either 63 years old or better OR are totally disabled may qualify to receive prescription medications through a mail order program at NO COST. The program is called C-MOP. Contact information about our Clinics and more information about the C-MOP prescription program is available on the Nation's website,, under "Services."

In all cases, please be sure to call ahead to confirm your eligibility for the services you need, and to make an appointment, and bring the identification that is required so you won't be turned away for lack of documentation.